Taxpayers missing deadline should still file returns, says SARS

Tuesday, November 20, 2018

The South African Revenue Service (SARS) will today embark on a nationwide awareness campaign aimed at getting taxpayers to submit outstanding returns.

The three-week campaign, which kicks off today, is primarily targeted at businesses for compliance with Corporate Income Tax (CIT), Value-Added Tax (VAT) and Pay-As-You-Earn (PAYE).

“Information on taxpayer obligations, the submission of tax returns, and consequences related to non-submission will also be shared during the campaign. SARS will also issue final demand letters to affected taxpayers,” the revenue collector said.

Although Tax Season closed on 31 October 2018, taxpayers who missed the deadline are still expected to file all outstanding tax returns. Administrative penalties may be imposed for failure to file. Provisional taxpayers have until 31 January 2018 to file their tax returns via eFiling.

“Taxpayers who do not submit their returns will be charged an administrative penalty, which can range from R250 to R16 000 per month, depending on the taxable income of the taxpayer. It is a criminal offence to not submit a return, and continuous non-compliance will lead to criminal prosecution,” said SARS.

Releasing provisional collection data earlier this month, SARS said it had received 5.7 million returns by October 31. Despite this year’s filing season being shorter, a 2.1% increase in submissions received from the previous year’s submissions had been recorded by SARS.

A total 96.1% of expected returns from individuals were submitted on time, exceeding last year’s rate of 94%. The returns expected are informed by last year’s submissions and IRP5 information from employers, excluding provisional taxpayers.

The revenue collector also encouraged taxpayers to call the SARS contact centre on 0800 00 7277, or to visit any of SARS branches with their taxpayer reference number at hand. – SAnews.gov.za

 

Government to abolish work experience for entry level posts

Tuesday, November 20, 2018

From 1 April 2019, work experience will no longer be a requirement for recruitment for entry level jobs in the public sector, the Department of Public Service and Administration (DPSA) has announced.

This, the DPSA said in statement on Monday, is part of government’s efforts to address the country’s high youth unemployment rate.

The department is currently in the process of amending regulations in this regard that will take effect at the commencement of the 2019/20 financial year.

DPSA Minister Ayanda Dlodlo has taken the initiative to review the current legislative framework in order to facilitate the implementation of this new dispensation.

This initiative will enhance government’s human resource development capacity that will see the high levels of unemployment, especially among the youth, alleviated.

The process will also see the removal of unnecessary barriers to entry into the public service and provision of a platform for new graduates to acquire the required experience in their life long career paths. Additionally, the initiative will see new and innovative blood attracted into the public service.

In the statement, Dlodlo said the changes will not do away with the inherent requirements of professional fields.

“This exercise will be structured in such a way that it does not compromise the professional and technical requirements for various fields. All we want to do is streamline career paths and align skills, which will make the public service fit for purpose.”

DPSA spokesperson Mava Scott said the focus of recruitment will now be on minimum academic qualifications obtained from appropriately registered training institutions in terms of the National Qualifications Framework Act and the pre-employment verification, as specified in the Public Service Regulations of 2016.

Dlodlo has instructed the department to issue a circular to the public service mandating Heads of Departments in national and provincial spheres of government to ensure a state of readiness towards a phased implementation by 1 April 2019.

Meanwhile, the department will introduce a paperless administration across the public service and an e- recruitment system that will be rolled from next month.

“As government, we are concerned that we took long to evolve in this process, resulting in young people, who mostly are techno savvy, enduring the burden of incurring unnecessary costs when applying for positions in the public service. The world has moved on and the public service needs to keep up and embrace the digital age in all its processes,” said Dlodlo.

The Minister has instructed the department to introduce a digital Z83 application form as an additional platform for job seekers in the public service. Processes will be put in place to ensure compliance with the Public Service Act by formally introducing the digital Z83 form through notice in the Government Gazette.

The decision to create a digital Z83 form, Scott said, is a direct response to job seekers in South Africa, who have used various platforms, including social media, to inform the Minister about how cumbersome and unaffordable the paper Z83 application process is.

“The Minister has heard the voices of young people too and is committed to use innovative technologies to ensure that being poor does not become a barrier to employment in the public service.”

The Minister emphasized, however, that applications for jobs in the public service will still be accepted through the Z83 forms to accommodate those who do not have access to the internet.

“We understand the challenge of internet access for some of our communities, especially in the rural areas, so we will not close anyone out through this e-recruitment process,” Scott explained.

The department said it will be engaging local government authorities to expedite the infrastructure rollout for Wi-Fi hotspots across all municipalities. – SAnews.gov.za

Stakeholders to embrace 16 Days of Activism

Stakeholders from City of Johannesburg Region C are set to embrace 16 days of activism to continue fighting against Gender Based Violence (GBV).

This was revealed on 12 November when stakeholders from Cosmo City, Diepsloot, and Zandspruit met at Multipurpose alongside government officials to discuss Gender based issues.

Sixteen Days of Activism against Gender based Violence is an international campaign to oppose violence against women and children. The campaign runs every year from 25 November to 10 December.

The Region C stakeholders want to achieve sexual orientation for men and women by building a crime free society, said Stephinah Boshielo of Cosmo Women’s Forum.

“We want to educate and empower the community,” she said. “We aim to do that irrespective of background, culture, religion, nationality, gender, education on the moral ethics to ensure South Africa is a harmonious country to live in.”

With the stakeholders aiming to officially kick start their campaign on 27 November, they want to comply with constitutional rights, according to Boshielo.

“We also want to instill a diverse culture in the community,” Boshielo said. “As we fight against Gender based violence we want to promote a culture that dignifies every single citizen aligned with the constitution. We want to get rid of discrimination by making sure we exercise respect when dealing with the poor and the vulnerable.”

Workers protest over pay at Paul’s Muesli in Northriding

About 20 workers of Paul’s Muesli downed tools on 15 November and held a demonstration in Northriding, demanding increase in salary and allowances.

The workers, who come from areas like Cosmo City, Zandspruit and Kya Sands, said they approached Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA) and got permission to protest. The angry workers said they expect the company to offer program fund for maternity leave.

Paul’s Muesli  which manufactures and supplies butter biscuits, oats and other products, has not met the workers’ needs since last year, said Sipho Kunene, one of the employees.

“The strike is legal,” Kunene said, “and we want the owners of the company to hear our concerns and take action. We made a proposal to the company, asking for salary increments and program funds. However, they seemed not to understand our needs.”

Workers demanded a salary increase of 50 percent, but they only got an increase of 6 percent, said Temoso Xhane, who has been working for the company for two years.

“We feel we are unfairly treated by our employers,” she said.  “Some of our co-workers have been with this company for more than 20 years, and there is still no change.  Now they are threatening to get us fired if we do not resume our work duties, which is not fair.”

The workers alleged that their bosses had been conniving with the police to stop them from protesting.

Efforts to get a comment from the company founder, Paul Ruiter, were fruitless as he could not answer several calls to his cell phone.

 

 

 

1 2 3 4 38